homestead - [Homestead] Septic Rant

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Septic Rant
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 17:00:20 -0800

O.K., I am livid! When we bought this place, we insisted that the septic be inspected AND pumped. That was done in January 2004. We didn't move in until August 2004.

Day before yesterday we had to have the tank pumped! And we spent today snaking the lines. Why? Because it wasn't pumped. It was filled SOLID! No liquid between the top and the bottom sludge! Took the guy FOUR HOURS to break everything up and pump it out!

So, we dig around the whole blooming thing because I'm wondering just how big this septic is. I mean, there are only 3 of us. No garbage disposal. No grease or chemical or other "bad" stuff goes down the drain. I am the septic Nazi <g> I don't use anti-bacterial soaps. I use eco-friendly laundry detergents (no phosphates or other stuff).

Now, unless my math has totally failed me (158 x 36 x 72), we have approximately a 1750 gallon tank. Even the folks that want to sell you a "routine maintenance pumping schedule" say the thing shouldn't need to be pumped anymore than every 7 years.

Y'all will be character witnesses when I go and strangle the con-artists that supposedly pumped this thing 3 years ago, right?

Lynda, who will stop ranting now.