freetds - Re: [freetds] unixodbc: no ??

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: jklowden AT schemamania.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] unixodbc: no ??
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 17:23:50 -0400

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 05:53:10PM +0000, Perl_to_SQL_Server wrote:

> One part that remains unclear is the TDS versioning:
> - I had 7.2 as the current version, from the freeTDS documentation
> - but had to backtrack to 7.1 to avoid the installation falling back on 5.0
> - From many external sites like the unixODBC's, there's an 8.0 version

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/tdshistory.htm

In years past, Microsoft didn't document TDS versions, and FreeTDS
made up its own out of necessity. When Microsoft published the TDS
specification under pressure from the EU, lo and behold there were
version numbers, and different from ours.

I called them up and they were quite understanding, but I had to agree
that it was, really, a smaller problem, especially for them, for us
to adopt their numbers than for them to adopt ours. So we switched.