freetds - Re: [freetds] unixodbc: no ??

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Perl_to_SQL_Server <JGrenetier AT hotmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] unixodbc: no ??
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:05:13 +0000 (UTC)

At the moment I've got loose ends with this 'unixODBC-devel' package because:

- I can't find mention of it in the freeTDS documentation. If this is
official
and definitely needed then it's got to be somewhere in the documentation?
Unless the '-devel' suffix belongs to standard Linux common knowledge and its
necessity assumed to be known?

- I've found a resource where to obtain 'unixODBC-devel':
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/11368942/dir/opensuse/com/unixODBC-
devel-32bit-2.2.12-93.1.x86_64.rpm.html
but the 'Content of RPM:' doesn't list sql.h

- there is otherwise another location to get unixODBC-devel:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/unixodbc/files/
as linked to by http://www.unixodbc.org/download.html, but its last update is
6
years ago (2005) so perhaps not right place to look at?

- after having dowloaded a fresh standard unixODBC-2.3.0, I see that it has
sql.h under include/. The odbc_inst utility is responsive so I 'think' that
the
installation of unixODBC-2.3.0 was successful despite a number of confest.c
errors in its config.log, but I'm not familiar enough with this.

Can we bypass unixODBC altogether? I've read a number of times that it's
recommended but not essential. I had freeTDS tsql working without unixodbc,
perhaps I can hook it to DBD::ODBC directly?