freetds - Re: [freetds] Cross compilation, warnings and errors

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Luis Lavena <luislavena AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Cross compilation, warnings and errors
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:37:36 -0300

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:17 PM, James K. Lowden <jklowden AT freetds.org>
wrote:

> I've never been in that position; I've had to learn about it from people
> like yourself explaining it to me.  Tonight I learned two things:
>
> 1.  Releases help downstream projects track their dependencies.
>
> 2.  Snapshots would be more useful as psuedo-releases if they were
> versioned somehow.
>
> For example, freetds-current.tgz could be a symbolic link to
> freetds-0.83.dev.20110125.tar.gz (currently).  We could archive snapshots
> at predictable intervals until the next release, perhaps on the first of
> each month.  That would give you a more predictable base on which to build.
>
> Would a system like that make your life easier?

That will help a lot.

It will help me indicate in my recipes "download
freetds-0.83.dev.YYYYMMDD.tar.gz" more visually and will serve for
anyone else that want to use or update the recipe.

In that way, the recipe is self documenting, it clearly indicates
against which version of the project it was build (or is target to).

Symlinks will help build bots to continuously build the project (like
CI) and that is excellent to track possible breakages.

Also, if I wanted to provide a patch to the list, I can take the
timestamp version as base.

If these things can be put in place (symlink and real timestamped
files), then things will be much easier.

Thank you for your suggestions and willingness.
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17