freetds - Re: [freetds] Cross compilation, warnings and errors

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Cross compilation, warnings and errors
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:17:30 -0500

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:28:12 -0300
Luis Lavena <luislavena AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Again, my comment was not aimed to get FreeTDS change to what you
> think is my just learned or favorite VCS

I didn't mean to insinuate anything, Luis. I did get the impression you were
suggesting we use git. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding.

> There has been no official release of FreeTDS in the past 2 years:
> I mean, i can go and download stable now, come back 2 months from now
> and "stable" will not be the same

Yes. Message received. Stay tuned.

> So, if I were a developer working on a package manager attempting to
> create a recipe (which, ehem, I am) I would doubt in the future that
> my recipe will work and will need to keep a closer (real close) look
> to FreeTDS project evolution.

I've never been in that position; I've had to learn about it from people like
yourself explaining it to me. Tonight I learned two things:

1. Releases help downstream projects track their dependencies.

2. Snapshots would be more useful as psuedo-releases if they were versioned
somehow.

For example, freetds-current.tgz could be a symbolic link to
freetds-0.83.dev.20110125.tar.gz (currently). We could archive snapshots at
predictable intervals until the next release, perhaps on the first of each
month. That would give you a more predictable base on which to build.

Would a system like that make your life easier?

Regards,