freetds - Re: [freetds] [Fwd: FreeTDS for MS VC++ 2010]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Neuhauser, Roman (GE Capital, consultant)" <Roman.Neuhauser AT ge.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] [Fwd: FreeTDS for MS VC++ 2010]
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:15:43 +0100

From: freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of LacaK
> > as a user, i'd prefer if freetds concentrated on Makefiles. dead ends such
> > as the one you've run into simply wouldn't exist: anyone can patch a
> > Makefile
> > to support new, incompatible tools. OTOH it seems that VC 2010 renders
> > the work put into producing and "maintaining" the ds[pw] files wasted.

> OK, I do not send, that FreeTDS project must support just MS VC++
> From the begining I am speaking as man, who is not C/C++ programer,
> I came from FreePascal comunity and I need build dblib.dll to
> use it in FreePascal.

we're in roughly the same boat, though my bailiwick is PHP not (FreePascal),
and i'm FreeBSD-oriented guy stuck in the Windows hell. ;)

> So I have searched the way "HOW TO DO IT IN WINDOWS?"
> If there will be some tutorial (step by step) how to do it, then no
> problem I will follow them (I will download, install other
> compiler than MS VC++)
> May be, that for experienced C++ developer is all clear/simple and my
> point of view is "strange" or "pointless", then please excuse me.
> -Laco.

so the real request or question is: how do I easily build FreeTDS on Windows?
the answer to that is: use the Nmakefile from the tarball you've downloaded
(it wasn't in 0.82 but you'll want to download a current snapshot anyway).

disclaimer: i haven't used the Nmakefile myself yet. i just lurk on this
list with
the *intention* to use FreeTDS on Windows to connect to SQL Server 2005.
thanks to various distractions i haven't gotten too far with it, and when i
did
build it, i used the dsw file (VC9/2008 still happily converts the legacy
format).
however, that was because i started from 0.82 and didn't notice the Nmakefile
in the snapshots before too late.

anyway, read the NMakefile, and try it out from the Visual Studio Command
Prompt
or Windows SDK CMD Shell. if you ever read a Makefile you'll feel right at
home.
else, use the manual: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms930369.aspx
documentation on configuring the shell for compilation should have come with
VC,
in any case it's no rocket science.

feel free to ask further questions if you run into problems with the Makefile.

--
roman