freetds - Re: [freetds] [Fwd: FreeTDS for MS VC++ 2010]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: LacaK <lacak AT zoznam.sk>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] [Fwd: FreeTDS for MS VC++ 2010]
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:19:31 +0200

OK, I do not send, that FreeTDS project must support just MS VC++
From the begining I am speaking as man, who is not C/C++ programer,
I came from FreePascal comunity and I need build dblib.dll to use it in FreePascal.
So I have searched the way "HOW TO DO IT IN WINDOWS?"
If there will be some tutorial (step by step) how to do it, then no problem I will follow them (I will download, install other compiler than MS VC++)
May be, that for experienced C++ developer is all clear/simple and my point of view is "strange" or "pointless", then please excuse me.
-Laco.

as a user, i'd prefer if freetds concentrated on Makefiles. dead ends such
as the one you've run into simply wouldn't exist: anyone can patch a Makefile
to support new, incompatible tools. OTOH it seems that VC 2010 renders
the work put into producing and "maintaining" the ds[pw] files wasted.

the notion that an OSS project should shovel energy (no matter how little)
into opaque files used by a third-party commercial tool which introduces
incompatibilities with each version just doesn't seem reasonable to me,
especially when those opaque files aren't *required* to use the project with
said third-party tool.

IOW, i support the argument jkl made in reply to one of your emails:

Supporting the Windows development environment is a bit of a nuisance --
no offence intended! -- for a free software project because the setup is
so variable. I wrote the FreeTDS NMakefile specifically to compile db-lib
regardless of the version of Visual Studio anyone might happen to use. I
don't know now portable it really is, or if anyone uses it, but at least
if problems are found it can be patched. A .dsw or .sln or .vcproj file
cannot be patched, and likely as not won't work anyway. Just the other
day I tried to compile APL for Windows and VS complained the project file
was for a newer version. No simple remedy there.