freetds - Re: [freetds] [Fwd: FreeTDS for MS VC++ 2010]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: LacaK <lacak AT zoznam.sk>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] [Fwd: FreeTDS for MS VC++ 2010]
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:15:05 +0200

I understand the attraction of Microsoft's dev tools; they make one of the
better debuggers I've ever used, and the class browser has gone from
pathetic to pretty nifty in only 10 years. Although is truly ridiculous
that in 2010 we can't get a list of functions that call a function or of
places where a variable is written to.
Ok, I do not say, that MS VC is bad or good, I do not prefer them.
It was the only FREE C++ compiler which I have used before ;-) (I think, that it's good in quality of generated code (size,speed))
(I have used VC++ 2005 Express in Firebird SQL Server project, where was simple "compile.bat" file and msvc6,7,8 project files, which build all in one click ;-))
If you have any other alternative for Windows, then I can use it, no problem.

What I am looking for is some tutorial "HOW TO DO IT" for users coming from non C/C++ world
(I am speaking here in name of users, who want use FreeTDS in other programing languages than C/C++)

To repeat something I've said before: creating an MS VS xx project for
FreeTDS falls under Know Thy Tools. For the experienced developer, it's
child's play. Really! Anyone who's ported VMS or Unix code to Windows
knows the drill. Anyone who hasn't, must learn; if they find it daunting,
they'll soon discover that's the least of their difficulties.
I believe, but I am not experienced C++ developer

What we do here on this list is develop the FreeTDS libraries. We strive
to write portable code that can be compiled anywhere, that connects to any
server, that works as advertised conformant with the vendors'
specifications. We include documentation and utilities intended to make
using FreeTDS as convenient and pleasant as possible.
Yes, thanks for your job

We do it for fun. It'd better be fun, because it takes a lot of time.
Tool and environment issues are definitely less fun. Autoconf takes care
of everything except Windows, even AIX, even OS X. To make Windows
development about as easy, I wrote the Nmakefile, which I'm happy to
support or apply patches to. Every version of VC++ I can think of
supported a "makefile project" that the Nmakefile could be dropped into.
may be, but all what I can do, is create new empty "makefile project" (but does it support importing of your Nmakefile?)

The Nmakefile also has the salient benefit of being readable. Anyone who
wants to know how all the pieces link together can, given time and
patience, read it to find out. Anyone who does so will become a better
programmer and even perhaps one day contribute to the project. The person
who requires a push-button eyes-closed just-make-it-work-for-me
;-)))

wrapped-in-ribbon project file will never do either of those things. Him
I can't help.

Thanks for listening.
Thanks for your time.
I believe, that you are right.
(If there is way how to help users building FreeTDS under windows, then IMHO it will be welcomed)

-Laco.