freetds - Re: [freetds] [Fwd: FreeTDS for MS VC++ 2010]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Neuhauser, Roman (GE Capital, consultant)" <Roman.Neuhauser AT ge.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] [Fwd: FreeTDS for MS VC++ 2010]
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:18:31 +0100

From: freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of LacaK
> And second question: if I supply project files for MS VC 2010, do you
> include them in FreeTDS sources as next alternative to msvc6
> project files ?
> (msvc6 project files can not be opened in VC 2010)

as a user, i'd prefer if freetds concentrated on Makefiles. dead ends such
as the one you've run into simply wouldn't exist: anyone can patch a Makefile
to support new, incompatible tools. OTOH it seems that VC 2010 renders
the work put into producing and "maintaining" the ds[pw] files wasted.

the notion that an OSS project should shovel energy (no matter how little)
into opaque files used by a third-party commercial tool which introduces
incompatibilities with each version just doesn't seem reasonable to me,
especially when those opaque files aren't *required* to use the project with
said third-party tool.

IOW, i support the argument jkl made in reply to one of your emails:

--
roman