freetds - Re: [freetds] Fwd: Named Instances

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Fwd: Named Instances
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:14:13 -0500

Patrick Corbett wrote:
> No, you were clear, I believe I follow you. I'm using the server IP
> address as well as the DNS for it with no luck. I also tried excluding
> the port

Don't define the port in freetds.conf if you're using the instance.

> definition and leaving out the client charset, but that did not seem to
> make a difference either - still getting that "unknown" error :(
> Is it possible
> I'm using the wrong version of php_dblib.dll? I downloaded it from here:
> http://kromann.info/download.php?strFolder=php5_2-Release_TS&strIndex=PHP5_2
>
> Perhaps it is a TS/non-TS issue? Maybe I should try the non-TS
> php_dblib.dll version...

What's "TS"?

No, I don't think it's a PHP issue. I won't think so until you connect
with tsql and fail to connect with PHP. That hasn't happened yet, right?
Have you in fact connected with anything, even Microsoft's own client?

> net.c:836:instance info
> 0000 ... |.l.Serve rName;AB|
> 0010 ... |C;Instan ceName;d|
> 0020 ... |ef;IsClu stered;N|
> 0030 ... |o;Versio n;8.00.1|
> 0040 ... |94;tcp;1 197;np;\|
> 0050 ... |\ABC\pip e\MSSQL$|
> 0060 ... |DEF\sql\ query;;|

That is the server's response. That's good! It tells us you connected to
the address, found the rendevous port (1434), and got a reply: to connect
to the "BOR" instance at port 1197.

Then you couldn't connect, as though no one was listening at 1197.

I suspect a firewall is blocking you. Perhaps they opened 1434 (and maybe
1433, the default), but are blocking most others, including 1197. You
could prove it with a tcpdump trace (you can use windump), but it would be
better if your network folks worked with you to make sure your packets are
getting through.

In any case, your freetds.conf is now right or almost right. I don't know
if they want you to use the internal or external address, but as long as
you're getting a packet like the one above, you've described the server
correctly to FreeTDS.

HTH.