freetds - Re: [freetds] Latest Stable Version and a build question.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: Tater.Tots AT verizon.net, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Latest Stable Version and a build question.
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:34:06 -0500

Jim & Tina Taitt wrote:
> After reading the User's Guide, I believe I will only
> need to use the db-lib and not the ODBC driver. I see that the current
> version 0.64 is available on the freeTds.org site as a download but
> after reading some of the mailing list entries there was talk of a new
> version being released soon (0.82). Is that now available ? If not,
> what is the most stable version available on the CVS site on Source
> Forge and how do I split it off from the rest of the stuff on there ?

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the project and kudos for reading the archives before delving
in. Very thorough on your part.

The next version will be released Real Soon Now, pending Frediano's work
on some ODBC cursor issues. I happen to have some time now and feel the
db-lib code is ready, but these things take their own course. We'll wait
for his OK.

Because you'll be using db-lib, I'd recommend you use the latest nightly
snapshot off the website. The next release will contain very few db-lib
changes compared to what's there now, so you'll essentially be getting a
sneak preview of it. Most people like to run "real" releases in
production, though, and if you're one of them, just keep in mind you'll
have to go through the same rigamorole one more time (at least) once the
release is made available.

Besides, who better than you to be my next victim, er, guinea pig, er,
beta tester? Seriously, though, I wouldn't count on any more bugfixes to
0.64. New features and fixes will be applied to CVS HEAD first and,
sometimes, to the latest release.

I can't give you any PHP building advice, but others here might. Frank
monitors this list and chimes in from time to time. The PHP directions in
the UG are a bit out of date because no one with direct experience has
updated them. (I might have received guidance and dropped the ball, but I
don't think so.)

Hope that answers your questions,