freetds - Re: [freetds] Named Instances

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Named Instances
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:06:39 -0500

Patrick Corbett wrote:
> I did a little more testing and was able to get a (better?) error
> message:
>
> freedts.conf
> -------
> [abc\def]
> host = abc.adomain.com
> instance = def
> port = 1197
> client charset = UTF-8
> tds version = 8.0
> ;text size = 20971520
> dump file append = yes
> dump file = C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\freetds.log
> --------
> config.c:251:Success: [abc\def] defined in c:\freetds.conf.

So far so good....

> net.c:185:Connecting to 204.228.89.23 port 1197 (TDS version 8.0)
> net.c:240:connect(2) returned "Unknown error"

Oh, so close!

> I know this wasn't the config setup you had suggested, but it seems to
> give a "better" error message than before...
> what do you think I could do to convince my DB Admin to allow me
> to reference an IP

If you try that and he has any sense, he'll send you down the hall to the
DNS guys, because they're the ones who assign names to numbers. The
database server -- any server -- doesn't know or care how you got its
address. All it knows is you showed up with a packet asking for a
connection to such-and-such a port.

You can just change your freetds.conf thus:

- host = abc.adomain.com
+ host = a.b.c.d

where a.b.c.d is the internal address you want to connect to. That's
valid.

To make your life easier, I'd ask the DNS folks to assign a name to that
number. It could be (if they want) abc.internal.adomain.com. They might
already have done so, btw. You could check with:

$ nslookup a.b.c.d

HTH.