freetds - [freetds] Latest Stable Version and a build question.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Jim & Tina Taitt" <Tater.Tots AT verizon.net>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Latest Stable Version and a build question.
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:02:10 -0800

Hi all,

I'm new to FreeTDS and am looking forward to using your software. I am
using OpenSuse Linux 10.3, PHP 5.X and Apache 2.2. I will be attempting to
connect to a Windows 2003 Box over the internet to MSSQL 2000 using the
mssql API in PHP. After reading the User's Guide, I believe I will only
need to use the db-lib and not the ODBC driver. I see that the current
version 0.64 is available on the freeTds.org site as a download but after
reading some of the mailing list entries there was talk of a new version
being released soon (0.82). Is that now available ? If not, what is the
most stable version available on the CVS site on Source Forge and how do I
split it off from the rest of the stuff on there ? This is my first time
using CVS.

Another question if I may, In the user's guide it suggests compiling freetds
and then compiling it into PHP. Is there a way to just compile it and add
it as an extension to PHP? If so could someone point me in the right
direction on how to do this? My experience with Linux is less than a year
but have always used RPM's and this is my first attempt at using a product
from source code. Yes, I'm a source code virgin! .

Thanks for the help and any suggestions.

Jim Taitt

Tater.tots AT verizon.net