freetds - Re: autoconf tenderfoot

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: autoconf tenderfoot
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 17:10:54 -0500

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 10:59:06PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:

> > The 'you should update aclocal.m4' message is generated by libtoolize,
> > before aclocal is run.

> I hadn't noticed that. Do you mean the warning is normal, or should
> something be changed? The sequence is:

> processing .
> Running libtoolize...
> You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
> Running aclocal ...
> Running autoheader...

> I get the message whether or not I run aclocal first. (In point of fact,
> I can't say if it's a "warning" or not; it doesn't say.)

> I browsed but did not study the libtoolize info pages. Is the answer
> somewhere in there, do you think?

Yes, every time you run it, libtoolize updates some files in the
directory which need to be processed by 'aclocal' before they're
incorporated into aclocal.m4; so it gives you a helpful (?) message
indicating this. Of course, you also need to re-run 'autoconf' before
aclocal.m4 does you much good, but, whatever... :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer