freetds - Re: autoconf tenderfoot

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: autoconf tenderfoot
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 17:33:40 -0400

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 13:27:53 -0400 (EDT) "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
wrote:

> config.h.in is created by "autoheader" and config.h by the configure
> script. What should happen is that configure checks whether INADDR_NONE
>
> exists already and optionally includes it in config.h. So most likely
> there is something wrong with the check for INADDR_NONE not detecting
> its existence. The check for it is in acinclude.m4 as
> AC_HAVE_INADDR_NONE.
>
> So, now the trick is to figure out why the macro isn't working...
>
> Yours seems to define this in netinet/in.h but there is no check for
> that in the configure.in So, my recommendation would be to add
>
> AC_CHECK_HEADERS(netinet/in.h)
>
> just above AC_HAVE_INADDR_NONE (the test for INADDR_NONE has a
> conditional include of in.h) and run ./autogen.sh to regenerate
> everything and give it a go. We might have to conditionally include it
> where INADDR_NONE is used too.

OK, thanks, Brian. That did the trick. (You didn't mention "make
distclean", but I noticed configure's output indicated "checking whether
INADDR_NONE is defined... no (cached)" on the first retry. After "make
distclean" there were no cached results for configure to use. Thought I'd
mention that for anyone else trying to follow along.)

>From what's below, do you think I have other issues in the toolchain?

I run ./autogen as follows:

$ aclocal # trying to eliminate the "you should" below...
$ MAKE=gmake ./autogen.sh
**Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`./autogen.sh' command line.

processing .
Running libtoolize...
You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
Running aclocal ...
Running autoheader...
configure.in:106: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
Running automake --gnu ...
Running autoconf ...
configure.in:44: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:45: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:46: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:47: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:48: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:49: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:106: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling

I don't know if any of that matters; I know NetBSD is moving to a complete
cross-compile setup, where any binary can be compiled on any architecture.
And I don't understand why running aclocal doesn't get rid of the "You
should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal." message.

+++

I'm down to one warning. I added several static prototypes to bcp.c. I'm
looking for the default datetime->varchar conversion in ct-lib (never
ventured there before) because right now we're creating a varchar(255) and
it should be a varchar(20) or so.

Regards,