freetds - autoconf tenderfoot

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: autoconf tenderfoot
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 16:05:38 -0400

All,

What I know about autoconf ends approximately at its "f". So I'm probably
doing something wrong. What I want to know is, Is it sufficient for me to
run "./configure", or should I run autoconf/automake/oughtathink first to
generate a configure script?

On my NetBSD system, I'm using the CVS version to run down some things,
spurious (I hope) warnings and such. I'm looking at this:

In file included from ../../include/tds.h:35,
from server.c:21:
/usr/include/netinet/in.h:170: warning: `INADDR_NONE' redefined
../../include/config.h:13: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition

which, bless his heart, is pretty comprehensible. But what to do? Reading
between the lines of Brian's similar question:

> is MAXPATHLEN always in sys/param.h if not already defined? If so, we
> could add AC_CHECK_HEADERS(sys/param.h) to configure.in and then add an
> #ifdef HAVE_SYS_PARAM to config.c to include it.

I looked at configure.in, which led me to autoconfincognita.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have to add something to some .in file, or
whether the tools are supposed to infer the right answer and aren't
(possibly because of some misconfiguration in my system).

I'm not afraid to read, but if someone could guide me to the right
reading, I'd be very much obliged.

TIA.