corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Voluntary Associations and the Pauline Church

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David A. Reed" <da.reed AT utoronto.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Voluntary Associations and the Pauline Church
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 20:02:07 -0400

Speaking of the whole VA debate and Meeks versus Kloppenborg and Kloppenborg's students such as Phil Harland and R. Ascough, has Meeks ever responded to the idea that the Pauline communities are more like VA's than synagogues? Has anyone else tried to refute what Kloppenborg and his students have tried to say about all of this?

David Reed
Regis College, U of Toronto

peterson AT austingrad.edu wrote:
I am preparing to begin a seminar on Social Science Interpretation of the
New Testament with Dr Carolyn Osiek at Brite Divinity School and want to
focus my study on the influence of Greco-Roman Voluntary Associations on
the
formation of the Pauline Church. Does any have suggestions on resources
for
such a study?

I'd suggest Wayne Meeks's First Urban Christians (esp. pp. 13, 31–32,
77–79, 84, 158), still a basic discussion, which can be refined via
reference to John S. Kloppenborg, ed., Voluntary Associations in the
Greco-Roman World, and also Dennis Smith's From Symposium to Eucharist.

Best wishes!

Jeff Peterson
Austin Graduate School of Theology
Austin, Texas