corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Question on Jewish traditions/suffering

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Billy Evans" <Biblewje AT comcast.net>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Question on Jewish traditions/suffering
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:38:54 -0500

Greetings:
Phillip Sigal's The Emergence of Contemporary Judaism. Vol One: The
Foundations of Judaism Part One (Pickwick Press, 1980, paper) addresses
this. I think he mentions it first on page xxi. The writer of Genesis,
argues Sigal, uses the 'binding of Isaac', the akedah, to lay out Judaic
theological's two concepts: 'vicarious atonement and the suffering of the
righteous, both impentrable mysteries, both applied to Israel and both
illustrated by the servant Yhwh.'

hope this helps
Billy Evans