corpus-paul - Re: Corinthian Correspondence

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Corinthian Correspondence
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 23:23:45 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <CoH61PA AT aol.com>
To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2002 8:03 PM
Subject: [corpus-paul] Re: Corinthian Correspondence

> Hello all,
> I am new here.
> Since Corinthians is being discussed, I have a question.
>
> When Paul speaks of the Last Supper in 1st Corinthians 11, he gives the
words
> as they appear in other gospels. However, why does Paul say that he got
this
> information from the Lord? He would have gotten it from Cephas in 49CE if
> anyone. Was this just rhetorical overkill by Paul?

There is always an underlying tension between Paul and the actual
eyewitnesses and students of Jesus himself. Paul is constantly attempting
to put himself on equal footing with Jesus. brothers and disciples. Was
Paul's little chitty chats with the resurrected Christ an hallucination or a
fabrication?

Jack