corpus-paul - Re: Corinthian Correspondence

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Zeba Crook <zeba.crook AT utoronto.ca>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Corinthian Correspondence
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:27:28 -0400

D'oh! There is an important word missing from this sentence. It should read
that it
does *not* lead logically to the conclusion. . . . My apologies.

What I have most in mind, actually, is a different issue that I come across
frequently,
namely the claim that if the resurrection did not actually happen, how do you
explain
the fact that Christianity ever got started? Well there are any number of
ways to
explain it, and many ways that we probably haven't thought of, but just
because none of
them is completely satisfactory does not mean that it must have happened. It
means
that we don't know. Period. I was, in my own head, drawing a logical
analogy to our
present issue. Just because a mythical Jesus makes it difficult to explain
the
construction of Christian tradition does not mean he must have existed. I'm
not sure
any more that this is what you were saying, and my brain is sore these days,
so I'll
leave it at that.

Cheers,

Zeb