corpus-paul - Re: Corinthian Correspondence

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "cfjacks" <cfjacks AT attbi.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Corinthian Correspondence
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 11:25:52 -0400

Vince,

----- Original Message -----
From: Vince Endris <vince_endris AT hotmail.com>
To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2002 11:19 AM
Subject: [corpus-paul] Corinthian Correspondence

> Corpus-Paul,
>
> I am reading the letters to the Corinthians and am trying to put together
> some kind of order for them. This is what I have so far.
>
> Paul goes to Corinth and starts a church from 50/51-52 (based on Gallio's
> proconcilship)

It seems to me that you "have a handle" on the issues and sequence, meaning
that I would pretty much agree on your analysis. But I do have a question
about your dating Paul's arrival in Corinth about the time that many
scholars have dated "the Jerusalem conference" at which Paul promises to
make a "collection" for the benefit of the Christians in Jerusalem. When
would you date this conference? In 49 or so? Before Paul's first visit to
evangelize in Corinth? The problem I have had with such a reconstruction is
that it means making Paul promise to collect funds from congregations which
do not yet exist! What is your thought on this aspect?

Clive F. Jacks, Th.D.
Professor of Religion, Emeritus
Pikeville College,
Pikeville, KY

(... but now happily retired back home in metro Atlanta)