corpus-paul - Re: Corinthian Correspondence

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Corinthian Correspondence
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:44:26 -0400

Loren Rosen III says:

>>And I'm not sure why this issue is being obsessed on C-P (touchy tempers
notwithstanding). Unless this is brought to bear on Pauline matters, it
seems more appropriate for a list like XTalk.<<

I recall that the original post centered on the statement by Paul (1
Corinthians 11:23-27) that he derived his doctrine on the eucharist from
"the Lord" (presumably in visions) rather than in person, and Mike Burkhimer
thought that this passage was a major obstacle to a Myth hypothesis. The
discussions to date seem to be concerned about the relevance of the
existence of, or the lack of, historical details and thematic parallels, as
they relate to explanations for early Christian development.

To get around this, I think that it would be necessary to speculate that the
Jewish Christians already possessed a developed Jesus myth that artificially
placed him in a (recent?) historical context, and Paul chose to ignore this
context in preference to his own ideas, which did not depend on Jesus'
historical existence.

But then we are right back into speculation ...

Still, I am struck by the following statement:

RSV 2 Corinthians 5:16 From now on, therefore, we regard no one from a human
point of view; even though we once regarded Christ from a human point of
view, we regard him thus no longer.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA