corpus-paul - Re: Corinthian Correspondence

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "cfjacks" <cfjacks AT attbi.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Corinthian Correspondence
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 23:26:46 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <rfellows AT intergate.ca>
To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2002 9:00 PM
Subject: [corpus-paul] Re: Corinthian Correspondence

> Udo Borse was the first person in modern times to propose that 'Titus' was
Timothy. He wrote in German in the early and mid 80s and showed that the
mission of Timothy to Corinth in 1 Cor is one and the same as the mission of
Titus to Corinth prior to 2 Cor. While his evidence is strong, he has not
been followed by other scholars. Borse equated the tearful letter with 1
Corinthians, and I imagine that scholars found this difficult to swallow.

> In my own work (R.Fellows, "Was Titus Timothy?", JSNT 81 (2001) p33-58) I
argue that the Titus-Timothy hypothesis by no means requires that the
tearful letter was 1 Corinthians. It is much more likely, in my view, that
the tearful letter was written before 1 Cor and sent by Timothy, who was en
route to Corinth at the time of 1 Corinthians.

[the remainder is snipped]

Richard,

Thanks for this most full and helpful response to my request, but it will
take a while before I make any response to the content, simply because it
will take a while to disgest it all. But I do plan to get back to you, but
I think I will wait until after I have gotten a copy of your article, the
reference to while I appreciate greatly!

Clive