corpus-paul - RE: The red Heifer

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen.Finlan" <Stephen.Finlan AT durham.ac.uk>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The red Heifer
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 19:17:10 +0100

Bob MacDonald wrote:

> You are right that the cultic transfer that I was thinking of has to do
> with the role of priest rather than sacrifice. ...what I
> would need is some reference in Paul that would allow me to think he also
> associated Christ with the priestly role....

As you say later, that seems to be a "Hebrews" idea, not a Paul idea.
Paul describes himself in a priestly role (Rom 15:16), but not Christ,
as far as I can recall. He uses a number of metaphors to describe
the death of Christ (sacrifice, scapegoat, redemption/purchase),
which all involve some kind of EXCHANGE. Christ becomes a curse
(Gal 3:13) or a HILASATERION (Rom 3:25) or sinful flesh (Rom 8:3)
in order that we might get some benefit... even to become the
righteousness of God in 2 Cor 5:21!

This element of exchange or reversal seems to be central to
Paul's thinking, but he can utilize several different metaphors
to communicate the notion. His thinking has been described as
typological: these earlier events and rituals were prefigurations
of Christ.

But Paul's typology is unusual in that he does not highlight the
individual typological items, does not spend time proving that
Christ fulfills each type that is mentioned.
For instance, "being justified by his blood" (Rom 5:9) mixes
the judicial and the cultic realms in order to make a point
about our being reconciled with God. He does not dwell on Jesus
being the typological fulfillment of the OT sacrifices, though it
seems to be implied here and elsewhere in Romans.
Paul uses this mixed metaphor in order to say that Christ
saved us from "the wrath of God" because he is like a new Adam
who was obedient instead of rebellious. Adam was a "type" of
the one to come (5:14).

Paul is not a slave of his metaphors. Cultic imagery and typology
are tools he uses to describe the reversal/redemption/rescue
accomplished by Christ.

Stephen Finlan
University of Durham