corpus-paul - Paul's Angel of Light

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bert Jan Lietaert Peerbolte" <lietaertpeerbolte AT planet.nl>
  • To: "Corpus-paul digest" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Paul's Angel of Light
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 16:52:56 +0200

I'm preparing a presentation on 2 Cor 11,14-15 and find that it is extremely difficult to find parallels to the angel of light Paul mentions here. I have found many angels of righteousness and so on, even aggeloi fotoforoi, but not one reference to an 'angel of light' neither in the LXX nor in contemporary Jewish literature. 1QS III speaks of the angel of darkness (=Belial) as opposed to the Prince of Lights (= JHWH?). But that's about as far as I get. I may be overlooking some evidence. Does anyone know any parallels containing the description angel of light?

Bert Jan Lietaert Peerbolte
Kampen Theological University
The Netherlands

  • Paul's Angel of Light, Bert Jan Lietaert Peerbolte, 05/28/2001