corpus-paul - RE: Paul and the Gospels

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Paul and the Gospels
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:15:46 -0600

{Ian}
I would think that Paul is trapped in the first stage oral tradition that
eventually will find concrete expression in the context of each evangelist.

{Bill}
Paul claimed (and I believe) that he did not receive his Gospel from men but
by direct revelation from God.

Galatians 1:
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me
**is not after man**.
12 For **I neither received it of man**, **neither was I taught it**, but
**by the revelation of Jesus Christ**.
..
15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and
called me by his grace,
16 **To reveal his Son in me**, that I might preach him among the heathen;
immediately **I conferred not with flesh and blood**:
17 **Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before
me**; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.

[I hope this post doesn't take up too much room on the server, but these
Scriptures are not necessarily common knowledge on this list and 6 lines
doesn't seem too much to save people the trouble of looking these up.]

Of course he made no claim that:

* what he preached did not overlap with that in the Gospels, James, Peter,
John, Jude, etc (1 Cor 3:5)
* what he preached was inconsistent with anything else in Scripture {Gal
2:10}
* that he was above being ministered to by other believers (Romans 1:12)