corpus-paul - Re: Paul and the Gospels

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Micheal Palmer <mwpalmer AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul and the Gospels
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 01:00:30 -0500

>At 11:01 AM -0500 4/2/99, George Blaisdell wrote:
>
>>Were the gospels then written with the Pauline Corpus clearly in view?

And I responded:
>I seriously doubt it. There is evidence to suggest that the Pauline corpus
>was in circulation as a unit by around 90 CE, but that is well after the
>latest of the Gospels. It is possible that one or more of the Gospel
>writers had access to individual letters of Paul, but I doubt any had the
>whole collection.

Hmm. I was writing a little too fast. 90 CE would not be "well after" the
writing of John's Gospel. Still, there is no real evidence to suggest that
the author of that Gospel had a copy of Paul's letters.

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer AT earthlink.net
North Carolina State University
Philosophy and Religion (New Testament)
Foreign Languages (Ancient Greek)

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://www.greek-language.com/