corpus-paul - Re: Paul and the Gospels

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <DHindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Paul and the Gospels
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 23:31:49

>>It is important to note that Koester is talking about quotations from
*Jesus*, not quotations from the Gospels. The original question asked
whether Paul ever quoted the Gospels. Since Paul's letters were written in
the fifties (and perhaps the early sixties), they precede the writing of
the Gospels (according to standard critical understandings of the dates of
the Gospels), so if our understanding of when the Gospels were written is
correct, then it was not possible for Paul to quote from the Gospels.<<

Alternately, quotations from gospels may be from the hand of an
editor/redactor. It is also possible for such a redactor to equate material
similar to a saying of Jesus with a saying as found in a gospel.

The process can be as simple as a few added words in a sentence (for
example, "To the married I give charge [not I but the Lord] that the wife
..." in 1 Cor 7:10), to adding examples to an existing text (for example, 1
Cor 9:14 unnecessarily adds to an otherwise self contained thread in vss
8-13,15), to expansions consisting of whole paragraphs (such as 11:23-32
interjected into a simple comment about eating a solemn meal in 11:20-22,
33, which I think is discernable by the use of the definite article with
KURIOS in 23-32 <where the "Lord" Jesus is ment>, and the lack of it in
20-22,33 <where KURIOS is used as a name for the Jewish God>).

Just out of curiosity, does anyone consider the epistles heavily redacted
anymore? It does appear to me to be the easiest way to explain the
incompatable threads to be found in the Pauline corpus.

Dave Hindley
DHindley AT compuserve.com