corpus-paul - Re: Paul and the Gospels

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Micheal Palmer <mwpalmer AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul and the Gospels
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 01:36:25 -0500

>At 12:42 PM 4/1/99 PST, someone (I don't remember who) wrote:
>
>>Does Paul, in his writings [however included or sequenced], ever cite
>>the gospels, or argue from them, or otherwise refer to them? And if
>>yes, where?

And at 5:11 PM -0500 4/1/99, Frank Glenn responded:
>According to Helmut Koester (Ancient Christian Gospels, pp. 52-55), here are
>the likely quotations from Jesus by Paul. . . .

It is important to note that Koester is talking about quotations from
*Jesus*, not quotations from the Gospels. The original question asked
whether Paul ever quoted the Gospels. Since Paul's letters were written in
the fifties (and perhaps the early sixties), they precede the writing of
the Gospels (according to standard critical understandings of the dates of
the Gospels), so if our understanding of when the Gospels were written is
correct, then it was not possible for Paul to quote from the Gospels.

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer AT earthlink.net
North Carolina State University
Philosophy and Religion (New Testament)
Foreign Languages (Ancient Greek)

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://www.greek-language.com/