compostteas - Re: [Compostteas] Re: Compostteas pump

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Tom Jaszewski" <tomj AT lvcm.com>
  • To: <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Compostteas] Re: Compostteas pump
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 17:57:52 -0700

This is the same pump used on Bruce Elliot's 500 gallon brewer. His brewer
places 4ea. -
12 or 18" stones in the tank and an aeration hose in the basket. Bruce's
machines are getting good fungal extraction. The basket also has a spray
nozzle flowing into the basket and one circulating water in the tank. These
nozzles are powered by a pool pump/filter assembly. If I remember correctly,
the basket has a 400 mesh bag, Again the results he has gotten have shown
the filter bag to not hinder fungal extraction. Our fungal extraction
continues to be low, but we are certain its a problem with our methodology
or source material rather than the system.
http://www.composttea.com/500gallon.htm

We are purchasing a "compost tumbler" to culture our source material.
We have ordered the "original". http://www.compostumbler.com/sizes.html

We will be innoculating the material and experimenting with developing a
consistent "compost". I remain convinced that a combination of APC and
vermicompost will provide us with the ideal material. I am reluctant to
change source materials since we have gotten fantastic partial inhibition
assays with the APC. This entire adventure began looking for a method of
suppressing Fusarium oxysporum "cannariensis, a fatal disease idetified in
out palm population. Inhibition assays have NOT been as consistent with
other products. As usual I have more questions than answers, but the results
here speak for themselves. I am still suspicious of the claims made by
others since those results continue to be largely anecdotal and don't appear
to be supported by testing.

So far we have had 100% partial inhibition with Rhizoctonia, 83% with
Alternaria, and 92% with Fusarium oxysporum. Inhibition assays have seemed
to have confirmed what we are seeing in our field work.

The inhibition assays are done with BBC Labs. In our case we have BBC
identify and test using disease samples collected from our landscape.
http://www.bbclabs.com/serv02.htm