compostteas - [Compostteas] Re: working with lab results

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: laura_s AT vaxxine.com
  • To: <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Re: working with lab results
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 22:01:19 -0400

Just received the results from my second sample, really fast thanks Elaine
and other SFIers!
Looks alot better, higher fungal counts, which I attribute to adding humates.

Questions on results
active bact was 85.8 --- in good range
total bact biomass was 2112 - with a comment that this could be too high
is the difference between active and total "sleeping" bacteria or dead ones ?
could this result from brewing too long ?

I'm currently working with 2 barrels. One is made fresh each batch , the
other contains a starter culture kept going from the previous batch (like
sour dough bread). To the started barrel I had more water and food on the
basis that the microbes are there now and just need to be maintained. I
keep the pump and air stones running. Comments ?

Hyphal Diameter
2.5 on my test
test comments indicate 2.5 to be mainly ascomcete community
with 3.0 or higher being the Basidiomycete which we are shooting for.
So how do I tweak my tea / compost to produce the larger type ? habitat?
food ? pH? temp?

Laura Sabourin
Feast of Fields Inc
Demeter Certified Vineyard & Farm http://www.ragdolls.net/vineyard.htm