compostteas - Re: [Compostteas] D.O. levels - Testing Meters

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "D" <madhava AT fidalgo.net>
  • To: "Jeff Lowenfels" <jeff AT gardener.com>, <eddington AT lvcm.com>, <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Compostteas] D.O. levels - Testing Meters
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 19:24:02 -0700

Jeff,

Just to clarify, when you make your loose tea, do add extra food for the
microbe (kelp, molasses etc.) or is it just compost. If it is just compost
has that tea been tested. Also what do you use to strain your tea before
spraying?

On another note, is anyone on this list familar with EM (efftective
micro-orgranisms). It is:

"Since the 1980's Kyusei Nature Farming has gained wider recognition for its
innovative use of microbial preparations known as Effective MicroorganismsT,
or EM. EM was developed by Dr. Teruo Higa, a research horticulturist at the
University of the Ryukyus in Okinawa, Japan.

EM consists of mixed cultures of beneficial and naturally-occurring
microorganisms that co-exist in a liquid medium. When the microbial
inoculant is applied to organic wastes or introduced into the environment,
their individual beneficial effect is multiplied in a synergistic fashion.
The culture consists primarily of lactic bacteria, photosynthetic bacteria,
and yeasts, and contains over 80 different microorganisms altogether.

The main species of microorganisms in EM include: [1] Lactic acid bacteria:
Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus casei, Streptococcus lactis; [2]
Photosynthetic bacteria: Rhodopseudomonas palustrus, Rhodobacter
spaeroides; [3] Yeasts: Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Candida utilis;
[4] Actinomycetes: Streptomyces albus, Streptomyces griseus; and [5]
Fermenting Fungi: Aspergillus oryzae, Mucor hiemalis.

EM inoculation has been shown to improve soil quality, soil health, and the
growth, yield, and quality of crops. However, EM is not a substitute for
other management practices. Rather, it should be combined with best
management practices such as crop rotations, use of organic amendments,
conservation tillage, crop residue recycling, and biocontrol of pests.

In the United States, EM technology is being used by organic farmers, by
confinement livestock operators, by home gardeners, and by food processing
waste handlers. EM can be used as microbial inoculant for green manure
residues prior to plough down, as a compost inoculant, as an irrigation
water inoculant, to transform kitchen food scraps into a fermented
biofertilizer, as an odor abatement with animal manures, as a probiotic
addition to livestock water, as a foliar spray to compete with plant
pathogens, and as a direct soil treatment, among others. It is applied in
both dried (bokashi, wheat bran pre-inoculated with EM) and liquid forms
(EM).

The beneficial microorganisms in EM help create optimum soil microfloral
populations which decompose organic amendments (e.g., crop residues, animal
manures, mulches, food wastes) and create soils that are disease
suppressive, fix nitrogen, and enhance soil quality. Under poor
environmental conditions these same organic amendments can lead to anerobic
conditions leading to putrefaction and disease inducing soils."

EM comes as a concentrate. Small amounts can be mixed with molases and
expanded. One gallon can make 22 gallons. A gallon costs around $50.

I've thought about using EM instead of compost tea mainly because it doesn't
require any special equipment, there isn't the uncertainty of the final
product and no pathegeon problem to worry about. The only downside to EM as
compared to compost tea would be the lack of relative diversity.

I'm interested in what others think about a product like that. Does anyone
see a downside to using a product like that instead of CT.

For more EM info check out
http://ncatark.uark.edu/~steved/Nature-Farm-EM.html

Thanks,
Daniel