compostteas - Re: [Compostteas] D.O. levels - Testing Meters

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "D" <madhava AT fidalgo.net>
  • To: <eddington AT lvcm.com>, <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Compostteas] D.O. levels - Testing Meters
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 12:47:36 -0700

I've been trying to send some messages to the list but have been sending
them incorrectly so here they are:

What is the foam that forms on the tea. Someone told me you know when the
tea is finished by a head of foam. Is this true?

Has anyone tried making tea with the compost loose in the brewer and not
adding any extra food source. It seems like there would be plenty of water
soluble food and appropriate chunks for the continued growth of bacteria and
fungi. Is this faulty logic?

Can there be too much air in the brewer in terms of damaging organisms due
to turbulence?

Hi Frank,

I also searched through the maze of the Aquatic Eco-systems catalog to put
together a brewer. I just ordered the components and have not received them
yet.

My brewer is going to be about a 20 gallon system. My tank is 12" diameter
48" deep which I will fill about 36" with water (item no. T4) I went with a
tall narrow tank because I was told that tall was better for oxygen
diffusion. I went for 3 of the Tetratec Deep Water pumps (DW96) as they
almost gave me as much power as the small sweet water linear piston pump
(SL22) but for less than half the price. I'm using three .35 cfm diffusers
2 fine pore and 1 medium pore (Sweetwater).

My plan was to put one of the diffusers in the tea bag (probably pantyhose).
I was hoping just to put the tea into the tank loose but everything I've
heard about post brew filtering is that you lose organisms.

What I don't understand is how filtering tea post brew can remove organisms
but putting the tea through a pump and spray nozzle doesn't. That just
doesn't jive in my head.
thanks,
Daniel