compostteas - [Compostteas] D.O. levels - Testing Meters

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Scott Alexander" <daylily AT bigpond.com>
  • To: <Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] D.O. levels - Testing Meters
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 10:56:05 +1000

Hello Carole and others in this rapidly growing group.

We take readings before adding ingredients, immediately after adding
> ingredients and throughout the brew at various times. It can vary 3-4
> points throughout the cycle from 10.6. to 6.2, but usually stays in the
> range of 7.6 - 8.2 at 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

This is good news. My spar pool aerator has given me very good CT results so
far. If the dissolved oxygen levels drop from 11.4 to 9 or 8 I think I'll
continue to produce good teas. But - tea temperatures affect D O levels. The
warmer the water during brewing the less dissolved oxygen so I have to make
sure I keep these temperatures down.

If anybody else uses these meters please let me know your
> experiences. I was waiting until the D.O. stabilized in the test, but the
> manufacturer said take it immediately. I still question that.

I don't know the type or name of the meter Peter used (he's just joined the
group so perhaps he'll respond) but he waved it around for some time until
the numbers stopped dropping and then he waved it around in the water for a
minute or so before taking the reading. What was pleasing to see was the D O
levels in the centre of the tank (away from the current caused by the action
of the aerator), was just 0.1 or 0.2 below.

Has anyone in the group had any success with using CT's for biological
control of something as nasty as rust?

Scott Alexander
Maleny
Queensland