cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Charles Iliya Krempeaux" <supercanadian AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:41:54 -0700

Hello,

On 10/3/07, paola.dimaio AT gmail.com <paola.dimaio AT gmail.com > wrote:
Rich, ( and drew)

I am not saying it's easy and straightforward, but I am saying there
must be ways of having it both ways (max freedom and max protection)
and we should think about it
(sounds like the advert line for a deodorant now)

Freedom and "protection"... or more accurately freedom and restrictions... are antithesis.  You can't maximize both.

See ya

It is true, you can see E as a subset of a religious world view,
therefore difficult to represent and enforce uniformly , but I am sure
that there can be simpler ways to agree on 'fair' usage extending the
fairness to include, say, fundamental human rights, or a simple list
of 'nonos'

I can take risk, but I should prevent unnecessary exposure

> But, to stay more focused on the licenses, is there a default
> mechanism to revoke permission on a CC license?

assuming there is (there should be) - its difficult to track usage -
given that permission is not required

I personally like the
> idea of taking the risk and letting the _expression_ stay out there.
> For one, it carries the default risk of being used by an outright
> critic.  Putting yourself out there with that default risk carries a
> certain amount of accountability that raises the bar on _expression_.

Imagine the photographs of  a pretty child  used to lurk pedofiles on
some grim websites
Legally, the misusage of the photo would not be persecuted until you
take the trouble of making a claim against that
(and find them, and track them down, then prove that you did not quite
intend the license for that , etc). Law enforcement agencies are
concerned enough about children abuse, the worry about the wrong usage
of a photo to gain commercial advantage would be secondary I suspect-

> While I joke about the extensive metadata required for a +E, there
> actually is an established option.
> http://www.icra.org/label/

nice - but not sure that would solve my issue

sorry if this conversation is becoming a little circular and boring!

at least we are talking about it -

cheers
PDM