cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:35:01 +0100

paola.dimaio AT gmail.com wrote:

I realy think it is irresponsible to allow a license to use work
without any conditions attached

The license is the conditions.

Most authors that I know would be horrified if their work would be
used 'freely' on a website instigating racial hatred, or war, or some
other aberration

Inciting hatred may well be illegal so this is not a license issue. Calling for war may be just or unjust and so should be outside of the scope of a license, even an 'ethical' one.

Fair Use would allow work to be quoted on sites one objects to even without

'Incompabtile, is not my requirement , incompatible is a license that
does not protect my
work against unlawful exploitation

The licenses already protect work from *unlawful* exploitation.

What the licenses don't do is censor people with opinions different than yours or mine. If those opinions are incitement or other criminal acts that is a different matter but is already covered by the law.

I really think CC should think about that and allow users to chose an
'ethical' license if they so wish

The licenses are already "ethical" to the extent that they are a response to unethical excesses of law and that they acknowledge moral rights.

not sure what's the best way to do it

I may have to work of fork, regrettably

Moral Rights should provide most of the protection you want and these should be covered by the localised CC licenses.

- Rob.