cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Rich Vázquez" <rich.vazquez AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:30:43 -0500

On 10/3/07, paola.dimaio AT gmail.com <paola.dimaio AT gmail.com> wrote:
> - I dont want to 'sue' someone from using my work in a way that I do
> not approve of
> I have an obligation, as a creator, to make sure that any conditions
> and warrants
> about usage of my work are explicitly expressed upfront - that would
> make law enforcement much easier.
> As I want to grant 'upfront' permission in general, I also want to
> make explicit 'upfront'
> what invalidates the permission given upfront above
>I think every license would benefit from having a +E flavour

Paola,
It seems the old fashioned "all rights reserved" variations work best
in your case since it restricts up front and, as someone else noted,
creative commons provide permission up front as opposed to
restriction.

Depending on your world view, the +E would have to have certain
metadata. Such as Conservative Christian, Quaker, Humanist, Lukumi
and a host of other world views and subsets with different overlapping
morals. Some Christians, for instance, who might both believe in an
absolute morality but also disagree on the validity of the "just war"
or "death penalty."

It would be easier if we all agreed on ethics or even what considered
crossing the line of things like "incitement." If you ever monitored
hate groups and doctrines you will know that they are very skillful at
diluting the blatancy of their message and reforming themselves into
legitimatized groups. Those who monitor cry foul while those who
haven't been focused just see someone expressing an idea.

But, to stay more focused on the licenses, is there a default
mechanism to revoke permission on a CC license? I personally like the
idea of taking the risk and letting the expression stay out there.
For one, it carries the default risk of being used by an outright
critic. Putting yourself out there with that default risk carries a
certain amount of accountability that raises the bar on expression.

While I joke about the extensive metadata required for a +E, there
actually is an established option.
http://www.icra.org/label/

There was also a flutter last year about "no military" clauses in the
GPL license you may be interested in as well.

Rich Vázquez, CISSP, CISA