cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: paola.dimaio AT gmail.com
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:14:24 +0700

Hi Rob

I do not want to deny anyone the freedom to act in disagreement with
me on ethical issues
I just want to deny them permission to use my work against my principles

say I had invented a wonderful new recipe that could a) heal people
from some terrible disease, but b) changing the dosage, it could kill
people.

I would be happy to license my recipe under cc for a) and not for b)

I understand that is not possible at the moment, and I consider this a 'vice'
of
this license (a technical defect)

> Moral Rights should provide most of the protection you want and these
> should be covered by the localised CC licenses.

No, moral rights *paternity and integrity are something else and have
nothing to do with 'ethical'' usage above I am afraid (this is why I
did not participate in that part of the discussion)

In copyright law, if someone asks me permission to use my work, I can
say yes or no
That depends on the proposed terms . If someone from a distasteful
website asks me to use my content (especially as it bears my name) I
say 'no' - I do not want my work and my name associated with that
website

Using a cc license, I can no longer make a distinction as to who uses
my work for what purpose (this is not a moral right) so, I need a way
or 'restricting' usage to purposes that I would not object to. I think
a cc licenses should make a provision for that

cheers
PDM