cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jordan S Hatcher <jordan AT opencontentlawyer.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:07:00 +0100

On 2 Oct 2007, at 19:12, Terry Hancock wrote:

Jordan S Hatcher wrote:
So I'm asking -- *is* that what happens with the 3.0 wording? Or is
there some trick that I'm missing?

See 8f.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/legalcode

Yeah, okay, here it is:

"""
SNIP.
"""

So what's your opinion?

Looks to me like it DOES assert moral rights in non-moral-rights
jurisdictions. Which is why I think it's a bad idea.

Cheers,
Terry

As I mentioned earlier in this thread:

CC licences, despite having an 'unported' version, really come down
to the law in an individual jurisdiction. There is no overriding
international copyright law, as it is all based on a system of
minimum standards and national treatment.

The unported licence is not tuned to any specific jurisdiction, and as described in the clause, takes effect in the jurisdiction that it is to be enforced, ergo the moral rights in the jurisdiction that it is enforced are the ones that will govern. Whether you can get dragged into court in a far away jurisdiction is a matter of personal jurisdiction rules/law.

This is why I always argue to use a jurisdiction-specific licence rather than the unported licence.

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
OC Blog: http://opencontentlawyer.com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Open Data Commons
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007