cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Hannes <hannes AT atalante.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:36:19 +0200

I think many people are drawn to the CC licenses because they aren't forced to read the full legal code to get an understanding of how the license works. My notion is that people who have not read the legal code in detail and who know nothing of sync licenses and the like assume that movies are handled as other collective works. That's why I see a problem in that movies are an exception, and that it's not made clear in the summary.

Another concern of mine is how the SA can be interpreted. Like you say, I'm quite sure many believe that SA also refers to any compilations that the work is used in. I do agree with you that there _should_ be a way to force all collective works to be SA as well, and I also think that the SA of today that refers to derivative works should be made more clear in the license summary.

Hannes