cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 06:39:01 -0400

On Thursday 20 October 2005 09:35 pm, Hannes wrote:
> I see what you mean. If that really is the case, it sounds to me that
> this is an area bound to cause problems and misunderstanding for people
> using SA licenses. I think most musicians who release their work under a
> BY-SA license is under the impression that their work can easily be used
> in movies. I have always seen a movie as a collective work - a
> compilation of video- and audio clips that are all separate works that
> can have different licenses. Why should movies be treated differently
> than, say, playing music in the background of a website? I never thought
> that Creative Commons would complicate the sharing of your work without
> good reasons, and without at least making it clear to the licensor.
>
> Hannes

It is not unclear if you know what a sync license is. I like the fact that my
by-sa music can't be used in films that are not themselves by-sa unless the
film's creators arrange a license. When I share my work by-sa, I would like
it to be used freely only by those who are willing to share their works that
mine appears in as by-sa as well.

In fact, I would like it if we could find some clear way to prevent the
inclusion of by-sa content in compilations where the compilation it self is a
"unit" or carries its own copyright notice.

Does anyone know what I am getting at and if so, does anyone know how to go
about wording such a clause and is it a reasonable idea?