cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:55:00 -0400

On Thu, 2005-20-10 at 16:42 -0500, Douglas Mills wrote:
Does this assume that the only thing on the DVD is the movie using by-sa content?  In my mind, the movie is the "work" and can be used according to that license, but if I have other works on the DVD (other movies perhaps with no music or original music), are they all subject to the same license?

No. The DVD in toto is a "Collective Work" and is not subject to the license requirements. I think Wrye was assuming that the only thing on your DVD was the movie, so he used the two words ("DVD" and "movie") interchangeably.

Good luck!

~Evan