cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:16:14 -0400

Let me just say that I think you are making one of the mistakes that I make
when it comes to copyright in that you seem to be trying to apply reason and
logic to the situation. I don't think things work like that, at least not for
those of us unschooled in the field.

Now, I thin I have found a better question for you. Does the use of photos or
illustrations which have a by-sa license require that a book they are used in
be released with the same license. If not, why are movies treated specially?

On Friday 21 October 2005 07:45 pm, Hannes wrote:
> Evan Prodromou wrote:
> > I'm not sure if that's the case, but I think that by-sa music /is/
> > easy to use in movies. The resulting movie needs to be by-sa licensed,
> > though.
>
> You're right that it's easy to use if you're aware that the movie needs
> to be BY-SA licensed. But what worries me is if more people like me
> assume that movies are considered collective work. Whichever way they
> interpret the SA we might end up with a misunderstanding that will
> either inhibit sharing or lead to an involuntary license breaking.

OK, so it would be ok from your point of view if the deed pointed out the
sync
issue.

> > I think there are very few exceptional movies that are like that. Most
> > movies I've seen tell a story or give information that hangs together
> > as a cohesive whole. I think it would be hard to justify the idea that
> > sets, music, lighting, direction, acting, props, script aren't all
> > used to form a cohesive single Work.
> >
> > There /are/ movies like that, of course -- bits and pieces strung
> > together or juxtaposed. I'm thinking of, say, /Atomic Cafe/ or /Four
> > Rooms/. But I think it would be hard to argue that two scenes in a
> > movie are more like two paintings in the same gallery, or two photos
> > in the same magazine, than like two chapters in a book or two
> > movements in a symphony.
> >
> > Indeed. Why do you think that music playing in the background of a
> > Website isn't an integral part of that Website?
>
> This is a very interesting discussion; where should we draw the border
> between derivative works and collective works?
>
> I think I partly agree with you on this. In the end, all works that are
> combined in one way or another do come out as a different experience to
> the user, just as you say. The question is really what definitions are
> practical in the CC licenses, or what the purpose of the licenses really
> is. In this sense I've had the picture of a derivative work as an actual
> change of the original content of a work, while I've seen a collective
> work as many different works put together - while keeping their own
> original contents intact - to form a new whole.

I think as someone else mentioned, this idea of allowing mixing of by-sa
works
came from the gpl allowing a distro to include gpl and non-gpl programs on a
cd. Now, in gpl land, these programs with different licenses are seperate and
not linked in any way. You tend to experience each program seperately as you
use it. (Kind of - at least the ones you actually run.) If you mix by-sa and
other licensed songs on a cd to make an album, you are more likely to
experience the album as an album. If you combine music and video, you are
even more likely to experiance the combination as an integral work. But
again, this is an attempt at reason. Things are what they are.

> I personally believe that a book, a website or a movie can be both a
> collective work or a derivative work, depending on the context. Here are
> some straight examples of my view regarding movies specifically:
> If I take a BY-SA licensed movie, which contains both a video- and an
> audio track, and change either the video- or the audio track, I consider
> this a derivative work. If I take two separate works, a piece of music
> and a video track (that contains no audio track), and put them together,
> I consider this a collective work.

A translation is considered a derivative work iirc. So, would converting to
another format be considered a derivative work? (Where another format could
be as simple as changing the sample rate of an audio file or changing from a
wav to an ogg?)

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22