cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Chris Lott <chris.lott AT gmail.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:37:28 -0800

On 10/21/05, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
> Now, I thin I have found a better question for you. Does the use of photos
> or
> illustrations which have a by-sa license require that a book they are used
> in
> be released with the same license. If not, why are movies treated specially?

It seems pretty "clear" to me that use of by-sa photos in a book mean
that book must be released with the same license. This seems the very
definition of a collective work in 1a of the license: "a work, such as
a periodical issue, anthology or encyclopedia, in which the Work in
its entirety in unmodified form, along with a number of other
contributions, constituting separate and independent works in
themselves, are assembled into a collective whole"

Note that the "other contributions" don't themselves have to be by-sa
works themselves.

Chris Lott