cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Sincaglia, Nicolas" <nsincaglia AT musicnow.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] "commercial" use of Att/Share-alike materials
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:51:55 -0500

The CC license has rules for derivatives works. This clause in the
license is just saying that the act of syncing moving images with
compositions or sound recordings UNDER THIS LICENSE must follow those
rules.

If you don't agree that synching a composition or sound recording is a
derivative work, you would be correct OUTSIDE OF THIS LICENSE. Since you
are attempting to use the composition or sound recording using this
license, you must accept their definition.

Regular copyright law does not always consider synching a composition or
sound recording to moving images to be a derivative work. It depends on
what exactly the end result is. But under regular copyright law you
would need to negotiate a Sync License with the owners of both the
composition and the sound recording.

The CC licenses help you avoid negotiating those direct licenses but you
must follow the rules of derivative works.

That is my understanding.

Nick