cc-licenses - Re: Gnu-Fdl or CC Attribution-ShareAlike?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Lorenzo De Tomasi <lorenzo.detomasi AT creativecommons.it>
  • To: Tom Morris <tom AT bbcity.co.uk>, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Gnu-Fdl or CC Attribution-ShareAlike?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:29:08 +0100

Martedì, 6 Gen 2004, alle 15:40 Europe/Rome, Tom Morris ha scritto:

GNU FDL / CreativeCommons compatibility is a nightmare for wiki owners like
me. I like the CC licence (by-sa), but because quite a number of texts are
taken from Wikipedia which is FDL.

CC seems simpler and there is less lawyerspeak than GNU's licence.

I'd like to be able to build a wiki which has both FDL and By-Sa content in
it.

Yes, I think that licensing under both licenses (Gnu-Fdl & CC By-Sa) is the best choice, so people can choose the license they prefer. (read http://creativecommons.org/faq#faq_entry_3307)
You can always contact the author and ask his permission for licensing the documentation under both licenses. You can also talk with him about the problem and convince him to license the documentation under both licenses.

The best solution is that CC collaborates with Free Software Foundation to create a new version of CC By-Sa compatible with Gnu-Fdl and viceversa.