cc-licenses - Re: Gnu-Fdl or CC Attribution-ShareAlike?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Gnu-Fdl or CC Attribution-ShareAlike?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:30:36 -0500

WVH> Nothing stops you from granting additional rights to the
WVH> users of your work.

I'm pretty sure that you can't grant additional rights to users of a
Derivative Work. The GFDL says:

"You may copy and distribute a Modified Version of the Document
under the conditions of sections 2 and 3 above, provided that you
release the Modified Version under precisely this License, [...]''

I guess it kind of depends on your understanding of "precisely"
whether this would allow granting additional rights.

The by-sa says:

"You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
digitally perform a Derivative Work only under the terms of this
License, [...]''

This seems a little clearer: "only" this license would seem to imply,
well, only this License.

It'd be nice if you could dual-license additional works, but I'm
pretty sure that's not OK.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>