cc-licenses - Re: Gnu-Fdl or CC Attribution-ShareAlike?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Gnu-Fdl or CC Attribution-ShareAlike?
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:15:34 -0500

WVH> Nothing stops you from granting additional rights to the
WVH> users of your work.

WVH> If you own CC-SA material, you grant people the right to make
WVH> derivative works under "only the CC-SA License", but you can
WVH> add the FDL license to that yourself.

I realize that. The problem is the creation of derivative works. Since
the GFDL and by-sa are not compatible, you have to hack in some kind
of compatibility. Maybe something like this would work:

"You may use this work under either the GFDL or the by-sa, at your
discretion. In addition, I grant you the right to create
derivative works licensed under both the GFDL and the by-sa."

In other words, you explicitly grant the right to create dual-licensed
works. I'm not sure how you would _revoke_ the right to create works
under _just_ the by-sa or GFDL -- that is, forcing creators of
derivative works to license them under both licenses, too, if that was
desired.

This doesn't solve the problem of including by-sa or GFDL work into a
derivative of a dual-licensed work, though.

Work 1 (by-sa or GFDL) + Work 2 (by-sa) => Work 3 (by-sa only)
Work 1 (by-sa or GFDL) + Work 4 (GFDL) => Work 5 (GFDL only)

(This is assuming that the inclusion of Work 2 or Work 4 wouldn't fall
under "fair use".)

I stand by my statement that dual-licensing is fraught with peril. I
wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't recommend it.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/