cc-hk - Re: [Cc-hk] Notes from Last Friday's Informal Lunch - May 11th

  • From: "Li Yahong" <yali AT hku.hk>
  • To: "Jon Phillips" <jon AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-hk] Notes from Last Friday's Informal Lunch - May 11th
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 10:38:50 +0800

Hi Jon,

How about July 15?

Yahong

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Phillips" <jon AT creativecommons.org>
To: "Mr. Pindar Wong" <pindar AT pacific.net.hk>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:05 AM

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 07:56 +0800, Mr. Pindar Wong wrote:
On May 16, 2007, at 3:03 AM, Jon Phillips wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 00:05 +0800, uta lam wrote:
>> Hi Pindar,
>>
>> Wow, you guys really discuss a lot of issues in the meeting.

it was quite informative actually and fortunately went beyond the
initial exchanging of pleasantries ;)

I would imagine that a first formal meeting would be even more so...

>> But as I remember that the key of starting the project is to identify
>> a legal lead first, any potential candidates nominated from the
>> meeting?

In trying to understand the status of the project thus far, we also
named Ms Yahong Li and Prof. Matthew Yuen (from Jon's first meeting
on this subject back in 2006)!

As far as we could tell, based on postings to this list,

1) we've two legal scholars Ms. Yahong Li (HKU) and Rebecca Ong
(City U - kindly introduced by Kenneth)
2) several individuals associated with 'academic' bodies - applied
research (ASTRI) and universities (HKUST, CU, HKU ... ) law faculties/
media/cultural studies departments

So Uta ... several potential candidates and institutions! ;)

CC may have already identified both (from Jon's email below) -- which
is *fantastic* to move things forward! :)

Although the ligh-level process for formation was clear ( http://
wiki.creativecommons.org/Worldwide_Overview ), we nevertheless had
several operational/logistical/strategic user-related questions as
well as some practical ones e.g. whether our existing commercial
contacts could be used to leverage pro-bono work from a commercial
law firm (Bakers, JSM, Slaughter&May etc) for the initial review
(given that we've a common law history and version 3.0 released )

So, with the combined experience on this list, we should have enough
clue to answer the 'known unknowns' !

As Jon, who was at the first meeting in 2006, mentioned both
>> Any plan to contact those candidates?

Ah... well they're all on the list and assumed to be periodically
reading mail.

Based on Yahong's email of May 8th, she would not be available till
July (earliest) and the thought of organising a 1st meeting in July
was in deference to this reality.

Yahong: Would it be possible for you to propose a convenient date in
July per your scheduled?
Matthew: Would it be possible for you to host this meeting in HKUST?
Jon: Would it be possible to participate by teleconference/video
conference (we could rig something up)?

Sure, but Catharina, is really the ideal person to do this :)

Jon

p.

--
Jon Phillips