cc-education - Re: [cc-education] proliferation, balkanization

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <david.wiley AT usu.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] proliferation, balkanization
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:03:40 -0600

Ben Crowell wrote:

The existing cc licenses exclude certain types of use, without excluding
certain
types of people.

I have to disagree with your interpretation on this one. The educational use option only excludes certain types of use, i.e., non-educational. It happens that by extension there are some who can never make acceptable use, and so because they cannot make acceptable use they are excluded. In exactly the same way, the noncommercial use clause only excludes certain types of use, i.e., commercial. It happens by extension that there are some who can never make acceptable use, and so because they cannot make acceptable use they are excluded.

http://wiley.ed.usu.edu/

"I'm much more interested in being right today than I am in maintaining that I was right yesterday."